Tuesday, April 1, 2008

9/11 and 7/7 (7.7.05)

London was the victim of terrorism this morning. A well-choreographed attack on the city came in the form of 4 simultaneous explosions of public transportation trains and buses. Thus far, 37 people are dead and hundreds are injured.

Hearing the news, I couldn't help but think back to the morning of September 11, 2001. I had just moved to Savannah (my first day of work was August 23rd). I lived by myself in an apartment out on Wilmington Island; I had not made any friends yet; I was more than a little lonely and second guessing myself about moving here. I was on the phone with a rep in Charleston and, all of a sudden, he said, "A plane crashed into the World Trade Center."

Just like everyone else, I thought, "Wow, what a terrible accident!" But only when the second plane crashed into the WTC and the two massive towers came crashing down, did I actually feel the impact of what was happening. We were all upstairs in the conference room, watching everything unfold, all open-mouthed and scared to death. I went into the bathroom and put my head in my hands and just lost it. I couldn't stop thinking about everyone I loved and where they were and if this was about to become a string of widespread attacks across the entire country.

Our boss announced that everyone was free to go home and be with their families. So, as everyone filed out, so did I. I drove out to my empty apartment, got my stuffed dog, Freddy, and sat on the couch, watching the news. I called my mom and talked to my boyfriend - both more than a few hours away - and tried to calm my fears...but the more I watched, the more worried I got, and the harder it was to turn off the television. All of these lives were lost. In a matter of minutes. It went from a sunny, crisp, Fall Tuesday morning in NYC to a day overcast with ashes and death. It was hard to believe. And even harder to deal with.

I think I grew up a lot that day. And that week, month, year... Maybe we all did. Being in a new town with no one to turn to for comfort was a different feeling than I had ever felt. And then having something as devastating as 9/11 to try and deal with - alone - it was a true test of my faith and my strength. I thought very seriously about just moving to Tifton for awhile. Living with my parents while I "figured things out..." But that would have been cowardice of me, and I would have been using the 9/11 loss as an excuse to regress. I'm so glad I didn't. I'm thankful that I stayed and stood on my own two feet and prayed and spent lots of time reflecting. I am a better person for that.

This morning's tragedy in London will, no doubt, have a lasting effect on its people. One of those "Where were you when..." moments that you never can shake. A senseless waste of human life. I hope that they can persevere, as America did, and find strength in their patriotism, their leaders, and in each other.

No comments: