Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Clutter...Upstairs and on the Main Floor (7.6.05)

I know that I can be classified as "obsessive compulsive" - not on a severe, debilitating level - but obsessive compulsive nonetheless. I love order. I crave symmetry and cleanliness and hospital corners and vacuumed carpets and fresh towels and swept floors... It's a little sick, but it's my reality.

Last week, I finally reached a breaking point in my office. This little space that I spend the majority of my time in was starting to feel like it was literally about to come down on top of me. Something snapped on Thursday afternoon, and I purged my space. Completely. I threw away any and everything that I had not touched in more than 2 weeks. It took me all afternoon, but it looks amazing in here! I am so proud...and, beyond that, so much calmer. The clutter that was on my "main floor" was affecting me "upstairs." So now that the tangible junk is gone, my mind is clearer. Amazing.

I don't know how people live in disarray. It would drive me clinically insane. Not that my house is always spotless and uncluttered - that's not true at all - but when it IS messy, it weighs on me. I wonder how many people feel this way... 1 out of 3... 1 out of 50? Who knows...

Right now my closet is completely destroyed. Things are thrown in there, shoes and bags are all over the floor, t-shirts are mixed in with sweatshirts and towels...it's disgusting. And it has been on my mind for months. Maybe this weekend I will get motivated and get that all settled... then, I suppose, I could always take on Lee's closets...good Lord, that would certainly keep me busy (and furious).

But, in a strange and somewhat reassuring way, it's nice to know that I can gain comfort in the organization of a space. My office, my closet, my car... getting any of those in order brings a clarity and peace of mind that is sometimes hard to come by for me.

Yes, you're right - I am a sad, sad human being. Put whatever you deem necessary on my tombstone, but please make sure that it is mowed regularly and the words are centered. hahaha...

No comments: