Thursday, May 15, 2008

Preacher Man (7.26.05)

Today at 515, Lee and I have our second meeting with the Methodist preacher at my church. The first (which I blogged about) went very well, and was more about us all talking and the preacher getting to know us than anything else. Today, he told us, will be about our fights and how we resolve them.

I am so nervous...I almost feel sick.

I guess my main fear is that he's going to tell us something like, "You know, after talking to you guys, I really don't think you're right for each other." Not that he ever would - because, besides the fact that we are SO right for each other, I don't think that preachers do that during pre-nuptial meetings. But there is still that fear...you know? That he is going to uncover some horrible truth about us and we will have to face the music. I think all of these feelings are normal...because when it comes down to it, I don't have any doubts about Lee. None. I mean, he does stuff like leaves his shoes everywhere and he tip-taps the Tony Chachere's container in a way that drives me INSANE, but I have no substantial problems with anything he is about or anything he does. He's wonderful.

So why am I scared of the preacher? Maybe it goes back to childhood and the notion of "All Seeing God" - I have always thought of preachers as also knowing a lot about you. Just by looking at you. Sort of a scary concept...to think that they could look at you and know that you cheated on your history test that day. Anyway, all irrational...but unnerving just the same.

We will go and sit in his cold office while he asks us questions about our relationship...I am sure I will pick and pull at my cuticles and Lee will bite his fingernails. But it will soon be over...and good for us in the end. ;)

Wish me luck! (at least I haven't cheated on any tests in a while...)

UPDATE: The meeting went very well...actually, it went way better than expected. The preacher is such a dear man - I actually enjoyed myself. And I think Lee did, too. Whew

No comments: