Thursday, March 20, 2008

Have a Tropicana morning... (6.2.05)

Are there commercials that make you happy? I know, for the most part, commercials are aggravating and can really get under your skin...but are there any that make you inherently gleeful? I think I am a weirdo (well, I know that I am)...but there are several commercials that can just make my day. Maybe it's because I work in advertising - but I really don't think so - I think I am just odd.

The commercial that has inspired me this 2nd day of June is the Tropicana commercial...there are a couple of different varieties, but they all have this great jingle where this soothing voice is singing, "Good morning...good morning...have a - Tropicana morning..." I just love it. Lee knows - he's seen me dancing and jigging to it during the Today Show. Amazing how something so small can help your morning. Oh, and the best part is...I bought a carton of Tropicana the other day! BECAUSE it had the tagline (Have a Tropicana morning) ON the carton! And I can't even really drink orange juice! Because of my mauled up tummy, it gives me searing pains the minute I take a sip...but I bought it anyway. Therein lies the power of advertising. Long live this assy industry.

Tonight my future in-laws arrive in Savannah to take us out to dinner. I'm so lucky...they are the easiest and most pleasant couple to be around (and I'm not just saying that because my fiance has access to this blog). They're fun and cool and love to have a good time, but they are solid and compassionate and down to earth, too. I am actually getting excited for them to meet my parents (which happens tomorrow - YIKERS!) - I adore my parents, and I adore Lee's parents...so we will have a great time. As long as I can keep from nervously chatting to fill up space and making everyone uncomfortable.

Yesterday, I went to Toys R Us to buy my future nephew (Lee's sister's child) a birthday present. We were getting him a gift card, so that was the easy part. The hard part was picking out a birthday card - my God, there are so many "characters" - SpongeBob, Dora, RugRats, Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh, Sesame Street, Looney Tunes...I didn't know who was "in" and who was "out"! It was stressful (on top of my stressful morning, where I let loose at work and accidentally let the f-word fly...oops). I settled on a Yu-Gi-Oh card (which I know future nephew liked at Christmas...who knows if that still holds), and went up to the checkout counter.

The checkout girl asked for my area code and phone number (what is that about?), and I gave her my zip code. :( Felt stupid. Then I corrected myself, and for some reason gave the obligatory, "Oh! I thought you meant zip code..." To which she gave me a look like, "No shit." Anyway, after this whole debacle, I was walking to my car and looked at my receipt...the checkout girl's name was Tequila! At Toys R Us! What's next?? Customer service manager, Jack Daniels! ahahahahahaa... I loved it.

Ok, off to work on the impossible task of invoice reconciliation. I need a Diet Coke...must find quarters...

No comments: