Monday, March 24, 2008

My Grown Up Little Brother (6.23.05)

Yesterday my brother put an offer in on a house. I am inconsolable. He is still supposed to be 10 years old, playing Nintendo and driving around the neighborhood in his "tricked out" golf cart. He is certainly not supposed to be working, buying houses and being an adult!

I am 5 years Tom's senior. This means he is 15. Kidding, he is 24...and isn't that awfully young to be mature and together enough to be able to buy a house? I mean, I have never bought a house. Maybe this means that I am immature...yes, I'm sure that's part of it. But still, 24 is quite young to be so "established." I am very proud of him, though - what a smart move. I threw money away on rent for the better part of my 20's and have nothing to show for it - Tom will be earning equity by his quarter-century birthday. Impressive.

My brother is a football coach and technology teacher, but he could easily double as a comedian. He's hilarious. His taste in movies is superb - all Will Farrell, most Adam Sandler and throw in some obscure titles from the 80's such as "Defending Your Life" and "Nobody's Perfect." He can quote them all - and do it amazingly better than the actors themselves. Tom is smart, understated, dependable, good hearted and can go for the jugular like no one I've ever seen. It's remarkable. And memorable.

My best memories of Little Tom are from as long ago as the early 80's and as recent as last weekend. Our relationship is ever-evolving and always fun...we genuinely like one another, and we can see a person/thing/situation and have the exact same reaction. We have the same values, morals and sense of humor...the same hands and love handles and teeth...we are family. And I can't wait to see all of the experiences we have left to share.

He still gets way too big for his britches sometimes...but I guess that's just the role that little brothers were meant to fill.

No comments: