Monday, June 2, 2008

I also love NYC (11.28.05)

But... LA wins. NYC is its own magical, incredibly electric place...full of diversity and history and beautiful buildings and seedy neighborhoods and real estate that blows your mind...but I am a beach girl at heart that longs for quiet walks, cozy places to read good books, and weather that doesn't require layers. But how fortunate am I to have been able to visit both coasts - and both amazing cities - within a week of each other. And to think, I never even traveled until I was in college. :)

NYC was really a treat - especially during Thanksgiving. The Macy's Day Parade was so much fun...everyone standing around, all bundled up, drinking hot chocolate, and cheering for the floats...it really gets you in the holiday spirit. There was a slight mishap this year with the M&M balloon (hit a light fixture and injured two girls), but everything turned out ok and the parade was - unless you were those girls - a giant success. My favorite float was probably Sesame Street...just brought back so many memories!!

That night (Thanksgiving), I went with my husband, inlaws and kids to eat at a family-style restaurant called Carmine's. Carmine's is usually Italian, but for the holiday they served traditional T'giving fare. I use the term "traditional" lightly because not anywhere on that table did I spot cornbread dressing, giblet gravy, squash casserole, butter beans or green bean casserole. The turkey was wonderful, however, and I got a great perspective on how Yankee's celebrate Turkey Day.

Friday, we did the obligatory shopping that you HAVE to do the day after Thanksgiving. We went to Macy's (mob scene) and trekked all around midtown Manhattan. It was CRAZY! But really fun with so much energy in the air... That night, Lee, myself, his sister and brother-in-law went to dinner and then to see "Walk the Line" - AWESOME movie...and it was such good timing... All four of us felt so proud to be Southerners when that movie ended, and we returned to the sea of Yankees on the Manhattan streets.

Saturday, we went down to Rockefeller Center and watched the ice skaters while dining at The Sea Grill. This place had the most incredible crabcakes I have ever had, and this new (to me) appetizer...portobello fries!! Literally portebello mushrooms cut up and fried - so delicious. That night, we turned in early after walking all over Greenwich Village, Soho and Little Italy.

We returned home last night at about 7 - enough time to eat, shower and hit the sack. It was a spectacular trip - thanks to the in-laws for having us!!!!

Back to work. Blah.

No comments: