Monday, June 2, 2008

What's that comin' down the track? (11.11.05)

We are headed to Athens this afternoon. We will be staying with my best friend and her husband who live there, and one of my best guy friends is heading down from Nashville to stay with us, too. I could not be more excited!!! It's been a really long time since we have been able to have a weekend that is nothing but old friends, football, and playing. I am actually going to try to leave work early - probably 230-ish - so that we won't be driving into the night.
Tomorrow the Dawgs take on Auburn - it's going to be a night game which spells debauchery for UGA fans, but also means it's a huge game. There will be a chill in the air...beer, bourbon and fried chicken smells throughout campus...red and black as far as the eye can see...and the UGA fight song coming from every car radio, boom box, and voice within earshot. I cannot wait. We are meeting my parents and brother for tailgating and have actually scored tickets for the game, so we are, as my guy friend said..."golden." This morning as I was packing my red and black, I got that surge of excitement that I always get before a trip to my alma mater.
My time in Athens was absolutely amazing. From the moment I got there, scared and 18 years old and without love handles, in September of 1994 until I graduated - happy, not wanting to leave, about 10 lbs heavier and 22 years old, in June of 1998 - those were the best four years I could ever have asked for. I learned so much - not just in the classroom...but about life. About friends, and fairweather friends. About heartbreak and healing. About the fact that I was a very small fish in a very big pond for the first time in my life. College is such a crazy and enlightening time. So glad I did it...and glad I did it the way that I did.
Ahh...ok, enough reminiscing. I am told I do that a lot. In fact, an exboyfriend once said that I should name my first child "Nostalgia." There's a reason why he's an "ex" - hahaahah...
Have a wonderful weekend - and goooooooooooooooooooooooooo dawgs! Sic 'em! woof woof woof woof!

No comments: