Tuesday, June 3, 2008

It's Official! (2.23.06)

Just got back from the Social Security Office... I have now - in the eyes of the law and a nice lady whose nameplate read "L. Polite" - taken my husband's last name. I know, I know...we've been married for almost 5 months, but the process is a PAIN! The SS office is only open from 9am-4pm, M-F...that does not really work for those of us with the ol' jobby jobs. But I needed to do this before we close on the new house - apparently it can make the closing complicated, blah blah. I hate paperwork.
I actually do feel a little different now - that's kind of weird. I mean, I've been introducing myself with my new last name for awhile now, and I am using the towels with my married monogram, and all of those little things - but legally changing it - whew, whole different matter.
Which brings me to another point - I did not realize until the past year or so that keeping your maiden name as your middle name is, for the most part, a Southern tradition. Very interesting. I just thought everyone did that - or kept their maiden name. So interesting to me - I just cannot imagine dropping my maiden name altogether. I almost feel like it would be insulting to my parents. Does that make sense? It does leave me with rather a strange name now...it certainly does not roll off the tongue... but it's my past and present and future. All together.
Didn't mean to get philosophical.
Going to a punk concert tomorrow - will NOT be philosophical there. Will drink beer and try not to look my age. Maybe even MOSH! Sweet.

No comments: