Monday, June 2, 2008

O Christmas Tree (12.12.05)

I love December. I had thought that as I get older I would love it less - that the excitement of the holidays would fade...but it hasn't. Not even a little. I am just as in love with Christmas as I was when I was a child - I am more about decorating and having parties and giving presents than Santa Claus and stockings and jingle bells, but it's still so much fun just the same.
Our party Friday night was a success! We had plenty of food, everyone came (about 30-35 folks), candles everywhere, Christmas music... Lee had a chiminea all lit up in the courtyard, and he even went so far as to paint the screened in porch and clean up the yard. The inside was warm and smelled like apples, cinnamon and Christmas trees. It was just a really fun night. Our guests didn't leave until about 2 am, so I am considering that a really good sign that they had fun.
The rest of the weekend was pretty low-key. With our party responsibilities behind us, we just relaxed. Saturday night, I represented "us" at a welcome home party for our friend, Charlie, who has been in Iraq. That was such a great feeling - seeing someone come home to his friends and family who has been in a war for a year. Just in time for Christmas. It was wonderful.
Today I am back at work - but not totally. I have at least 30% of my heart and head in the Christmas spirit... and I'm loving every minute of it.

No comments: